We’d like to thank you all for following us this past year. We are truly grateful for your thoughts, comments, questions and suggestions. Reflection, communication and interaction are the tools for changing the world. Thanks for being a part of our world.
In an attempt to share more with you, we will be adding some things this year that will hopefully improve your experience with us. This is our resolution for the new year. We want to share more and learn more from you. To do this, we are bringing more things in different formats so we can connect with you. Here’s what we’re planning.
- We’ll be adding a new column called “Career COLD facts.” This column will share some advice, experiences and lessons from the business world for all of our professional readers seeking that corner office spot. This stuff ain’t what your parents or professors told you about. It comes from the real world and is designed to wade through the BS to show you how things really work. We all know the truth but are afraid to say it out loud. Well….we’ll be saying it out loud!
- We’ll be adding some audio for those who’ve requested to hear us rather than read from us.
- We’ll also be adding some visual effects (e.g. videos, presentations) to help motivate us all in the new year. Some of these we’ll make ourselves. Some are made by others and we just like them (so we’ll share them).
- Lastly, we’ll be sharing our thoughts and opinions on some of the career and academic news that is published by mainstream media. You may not believe this, but sometimes they get this stuff all wrong. It’s time we challenge them a little.
We’re always open to suggestions. Just go to our Contact page and send us your requests.
Again, thank you for this past year. It has been a great learning experience for us (and hopefully for you too).
We wish you great SUCCESS in the new year and hope we can be a part of it!
We’re always looking for sources of inspiration when it comes to business and startups.
Today, I got to meet Eric Holtzclaw (@EHoltzclaw) on his radio show at Biz 1190. You can Katch our discussion here.
Eric’s got a lot of experience with entrepreneurs and startups. Check out his site at ericholtzclaw.com.
Continuing with your business plan – the story about your business:
Step Three – What are we going to do it with?
Typically called – “The Marketing Summary” – this section/chapter identifies the products/services that the company offers, and their plans for each during this business plan period.
The format for this section is:
- A description of the product/service, and the market(s) that it competes in.
- Where the product is in its product life cycle (E,G,M,A).
- How much it contributes to the profitability of the company.
- The specific marketing strategies for this product/service.
- Any plans for modifying this product/service to meet changing customer requirements, and by when.
- Any concerns about competitive threats.
When completed this section should present a clear picture of where the company is in its life cycle and the individual products/services positions in their life cycles that support and contribute to the overall company life cycle position.
Ideally, this should be summarized in a table-like presentation:
Product Life cycle position Projected sales Profit contribution
A G Yr 1 Yr 2 Yr 3 Yr 1 Yr 2 Yr 3
As you can see this simple presentation gives the reader a complete picture of how each product/service contributes to the total projected sales and profits of the company for each year of the business plan period, as well as where each is in their product life cycles, and the company as a whole.
In combination with the narrative for each product/service you have a complete presentation of “what we are going to do it with”.
Stay tuned for Step 4!
As always, send us your questions for Dr. Business to email@example.com.